Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cobbler for a Crowd

Well, I love a good bargain, and food is no exception!
I picked up two daggy looking packages of nectarines on the clearance stand at the local fruit market for $2.50. Out of those I got a 2 liter bowl full of sliced fruit - not bad!
Now what to do with the fruit.....
Cobbler! A BIG Cobbler!

Oven to 180c
In a 9" x 13" x 2" cake/roasting pan place 250g or 2 sticks of butter - put in the oven to melt
Meanwhile...
Get a large mixing bowl and mix together the following:
2c sugar
2c plain flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2c milk
Remove your pan with the melted butter from the oven, let cool for a minute or two, then pour your batter over the top of the butter - DO NOT STIR!
Scatter the sliced fruit over the top of the batter evenly
Take 1 cup of Brown Sugar - sprinkle over the fruit
Bake for at least an hour, or until a knife comes out clean and the batter has cooked and turned a lovely golden colour.
Now, my cobbler took closer to an hour and a half to completely cook as my pan was FULL, so it was quite thick. I just kept checking it once I'd passed the hour mark.
Serve hot with ice cream or custard.
Enjoy!
We did! It was yummy!

1 comment:

KathyinTexas said...

Oh my Chris....this reciept sounds so good Ihad to copy it and I also got your Grannys Chicken Stew!!!! I still cannt believe how sustainable you are becoming and what a homemaker you are, wow how would have ever known!!!!
Love your blog!!! It is on my favs list so I will be reading it all the time!!!
Love you girl!!